Geography at Cropredy CE Primary School
Geography teaching at Cropredy CE Primary School has a wide application to everyday life, teaching the children to enjoy learning about the world and to have a better understanding of how people live in different locations.
The aims of teaching geography in our school are:
• to inspire pupils’ curiosity to discover more about the world
• to enable children to know about the location of the world’s continents, countries, cities, seas and oceans
• to develop in children the skills of interpreting a range of sources of geographical information, including maps, diagrams, globes, aerial photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
• to help children understand how the human and physical features of a place shapes it location and can change over time
• to provide opportunities to study mathematics across the curriculum through geography lessons.
Within the Cornerstones Curriculum, that forms the basis for the teaching and learning in Geography, this subject is taught as part of a termly topic, focusing on knowledge and skills stated in the National Curriculum.